Thursday, May 14, 2009

Hot Potato




While gearing up for my gardening chores this past week, and all the energy, sore legs and inevitable poison ivy that it entails, I decided to get a new audio book to listen to while gardening.

Since this week was all about potatoes, I immediately settled on the adorably named The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows .

Oh what a book it is. It makes me want to stop what I'm doing and sip tea by a fire and read. AND it's in letter form- I LOVE letter books!



I was curious why it has two authors.
Aren't you?

There is more to the story than the story.
It is both sad and inspiring .
Mary Ann Schaffer the author, had always dreamed of writing a book. She was once stuck in Guernsy in the 70's, due to the fog, and it "stuck" with her- especially the occupation of Guernsey by the Germans during WWII. She did indeed write the book she had always wanted to write ,incorporating Guernsey's history into it. Before it was completed, she was stricken with cancer. She then asked her niece,Annie, an author herself, to finish the novel for her. Mary Ann died a few months before it was published.

What a gem of a book she wrote.
What a gift she has left behind for her family and friends and all of us who are lucky enough to have found it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment HERE