I just love Rufus Wainwright.His voice is sooooo soothing and beautiful.When he is not singing- he is a riot. From this video- you can see the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. His mom is uber-talented-besides being a singer,song writer and musician, she's an accomplished knitter and baker- her ski cookies are beautiful.I've posted the recipe below the video.
This show was such a treat.
Kate's Ski Biscuit Cookies
from Martha Stewart Show
These delicious and seasonally shaped cookies are courtesy of Kate McGarrigle.
Makes about 30 cookies
* 1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
* 1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
* 2/3 cup dark molasses
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 orange, zested
* 1 tablespoon dark rum
* 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (optional)
* 2 1/2 cups flour, sifted, plus more for work surface
* Small silver dragees, for decorating
* 30 strips candied ginger, for decorating
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place a nonstick baking mat or a piece of parchment paper-lined aluminum foil on a rimmed baking sheet so that one long side of the baking mat or foil is propped up onto the edge of the baking sheet, creating a soft slope on one side (the opposite side of the baking sheet will be uncovered by about 1/2 inch).
2. Place butter, sugar, and molasses in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring, until mixture comes to a boil; remove from heat and stir in baking soda, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, orange zest, rum, and vanilla if using. Add flour and stir to combine; let cool about 30 minutes.
3. Divide dough into two equal pieces. Turn one piece of dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and roll dough out to 1/8-inch thick. Cut dough into 15 6-by-1-inch rectangles with a point at one end. Repeat process with remaining piece of dough.
4. Working in batches, place cookies on prepared baking sheet 1/2 inch apart so that the pointed end is propped up on the covered edge, creating a soft slope at the tip of each ski. Arrange dragees and candied ginger to create a binding in the center of each cookie. Transfer to oven and bake until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes.
5. If any cookies become stuck together while baking, immediately cut apart using a sharp knife. Let cookies cook slightly on baking sheet to set shape. Carefully remove from baking sheet and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.