Saturday, March 21, 2009

In The Closet- Not Out

What have I been up to of late??
I've been in the closet...


My baby girl has flown from the nest and I have a vacant bedroom next door..



So I get a new closet for myself...



All MINE-no hubby golf shirts in site...



It's NOT a closet though.

It's a boudoir...

Wikpedia says..." a boudoir is a lady's private bedroom, sitting room or dressing room. The term derives from the French verb bouder, meaning "to pout"[1].

Historically, the boudoir formed part of the private suite of rooms of a lady, for bathing and dressing, adjacent to her bedchamber, being the female equivalent of the male cabinet. In later periods, the boudoir was used as a private drawing room, and was used for other activities, such as embroidery or entertaining intimate acquaintances."

Im looking forward to displaying my hat collection,reading at the window seat,



Watching morning TV while sipping a cup of coffee sitting on the pouffe (wish I could find one like this that's not 15,000 pounds)..

and most especially learning to put my make up on professionally ...



This is the late First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy's gorgeous boudoir...




Don't think mine will look exactly like hers but it will be pale blue -with wallpaper and a painted white floor..



And to think it was called the "pouting room" in old France.There will be no "pouting" in mine!



photo of White House boudoir- Architectural Digest

4 comments:

  1. I am officially jealous...what an incredible undertaking! And to think I was happy to get a bed and a good night's sleep. I should have thought bigger!

    Love ya,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know... very decadent-but my carpenter has been out of work and his wife laid off- that's my slight justification. I am blessed and know it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my ! i am sooo jealous! you must post pics of the boudoir when you are fini!
    cannot wait to come over and get dressed up with you someday.... are you serving cocktails too? did jackie do that? xo maggie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a great closet--I mean boudoir--that will be! (I need to get the name of your carpenter.)

    ReplyDelete

Comment HERE