Sunday, September 6, 2009

Sunday Afternoon At The Movies

One of my favorite films from my childhood... THE SECRET GARDEN.

THE SECRET GARDEN was the first book I ever fell in love with.I would lay in my bed and fantasize that I WAS Mary Lennox.

I even found my own Secret Garden, when I was in 6th grade. A beautiful mansion, abandoned and in ill-repair stood next to our home. It had a courtyard, which I didn't notice at first. It was only visible from the top of our apartment building. After realizing this "secret", I snuck into the property and shimmied through the locked iron gates. There I found a magical garden, debilitated, but beautiful. There was a huge carved fountain the middle. I found an old broom laying in the corner and started to sweep the leaves away. I lifted flower pots and cleaned out the fountain..I was in heaven- my first taste of the pleasures of gardening. All was well with the world until I flipped over a upside-down Terra Cotta planter and an enormous black fuzzy spider(I'm pretty sure it was a black widow) popped out.I am-scrammed it out of there. But it was and always will be my very own Secret Garden...


View Larger Map
Margaret O'Brien is the perfect Mary Lennox.She is my all time favorite child star. The movie incorporated the same style as THE WIZARD OF OZ- the movie is in black and white... until quite into the film, when the children walk into the garden, all primped and perfect- and then the movie magically becomes technicolor- divine...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment HERE