Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Extremely Great and Incredibly Brilliant

I have found it. Finally, a book I can love and savour. It has been a long time coming..."Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" by Jonathan Safran Foer. It's not like anything I have ever read before. The prose is just "wow". Describing it does not do it justice. I think I might have to give up writing all together after reading this book- and I'm not even finished.

I actually am listening to it on my Ipod. It is a well done narrative- with different readers taking on the different parts- but I also have the book- which is important to have as a companion- because of the way it is written and laid out- there are pages with drawings,pictures, lists. It is so unconventional- which makes it that much more brilliant.

Very quickly, it is about a 9 year old boy genius Oskar whose dad died on 9/11. His grandmother is a Holocaust survivor, if Im not mistaken (I have tried to not read any reviews )- I know it sounds bleak and horrible- but it's not. Thanks to Tricia for telling me it's her favorite book,buying it for me and gently prodding me to pick it up when I didn't.

It is extremely clever and incredibly moving.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment HERE